Monday, March 1, 2010

He is Aware of Us




Elder Maxwell wrote in a talk in the October 2002 General Conference entitled "Encircled in the Arms of His Love"
"Regarding trials, including of our faith and patience, there are no exemptions—only variations (see Mosiah 23:21). These calisthenics are designed to increase our capacity for happiness and service. Yet the faithful will not be totally immune from the events on this planet. Thus the courageous attitudes of imperiled Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego are worthy of emulation. They knew that God could rescue them. “But if not,” they vowed, they would still serve God anyway (see Dan. 3:16–18). Similarly, keeping the unfashionable but imperative first and seventh commandments can reflect the courage which three young women displayed anciently; they said no with their lives (see Abr. 1:11).


Therefore, we can be troubled on every side, but nothing can really separate us from the love of Christ (see 2 Cor. 4:8Rom. 8:35–39)"
I have experienced some pretty amazing things in the past few years that have helped me to look at my life and make a choice- I can look at all the hard things, and be miserable, or I can see the incredible blessings buried in all the trials.  I try my best to have the ratio of my choices be heavy on the grateful side, and I know it has made all the difference.  I have a choice every day to be sad and depressed, or be grateful and productive.  
This week I have been able to see the blessings of the Lord in my life.  I was at that great store named Costco and was looking in the book section and came across this little book in the wrong place that is 52 Family Home Evening lessons for families with little kids. FHE is time when we can talk about gospel principles, have fun, and enjoy our family together.  We sing, read scriptures, have treats and laugh and play as a family.  It's been hard to get together times like these because of Jake's sabotage expertise.  He would see it coming and create some problem to wreck the evening and the good feelings that come with it.  So it's been pretty hard for us to maintain consistency in this area.  But this little book titled, "52 more Weeks of Family Night: Scripture Study Edition" was just sitting there in the wrong place, all by itself.  I picked it up for under $7 as a impulse buy.  FHE hadn't been on my mind for a while until I had heard at church yesterday (after I bought the book) that families who spend quality time together learning the gospel of Christ will have peace in their homes and a bond that only the Spirit of Christ can bring.  
Oh boy, do we need that!  As I cracked open the book today, the first lesson is on Agency.  This is one of the essential principles of the gospel that we are teaching Jake.  That he has a choice to choose good or evil.  Even as an innocent kid, he has to practice making that choice. Up until recently he has only acted on impulse and anger.  Both are destructive and not good for kids or adults. 
 I'm not trying to give a promo for this particular book.  My point in sharing this with you is that I know that the Lord is aware of my family.  He knows what we need and knows how to help us.  He places things and people in our lives to help us with our challenges.  We just have to see them and use them.  I am so grateful for Jesus Christ's Atonement and Heavenly Father's love for me.  They know us, are aware of our struggles, and they love us.  I find peace knowing that my family is being watched over and protected by a loving God.  I know that when we have faith in Jesus Christ and his ability to make us better, He can lead us and guide us to the help we need to better our families!
PS the next FHE lesson is on Assurance: Having Peace in our Hearts through our Faith in Jesus Christ.  How fantastic is that???

No comments:

Post a Comment