Thursday, June 17, 2010

Happy Days are Here Again

Okay, my title is both true and false.  I have had the best days in my life with Jake but also some real adjustments as in the beginning of our treatments with him.  I am so grateful to all the therapists, trained respite providers, teachers and friends who helped us get to this point.  Most of all I am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, the influence of his spirit, and the testimony building experiences that allowed Jake to choose the Lord and change his very being.
These past few weeks have been an adjustment to normalcy.  I have been so excited to "get back to normal" that I have given too many privileges to my kids.  I only know this because of how they react to those privileges.  I get entitled, slow, upset, tired, and rude children.  I am including all because they all act like that when I am not enforcing strict limitations.  I am glad for all the training I received while going through this with Jake because it had helped me to do hard things with my kids for their long term benefit.
I have an opinion about how entitled my generation is.  We are in this financial crisis because my generation is so entitled.  We ran up high credit card debts, well, debts in general.  We feel entitled to have the big house, the nice car, the big brand clothes, the best lessons for our kids, the best toys, vacations, toys, and much more.  I am scared for the upcoming generations.  Our kids have to potential to be the fattest, most lazy, most spoiled, and most rotten kids that have ever been.  It's because each generation teaches the next.  We have an obligation to teach our children hard work, respect, responsibility, civility, and much more that is lost in this world right now.  That is what I have come to know while teaching Jake.  I have come to know that the vacations, toys, lessons, clothes and uncontrolled play is and can become a hinderance to my children's testimony and well being.
The limits I set for my kids help them to be prepared for the real world.  The real world has rules, consequences, and expectations.  I have a job to teach my kids how to think for themselves while learning with rules and consequences.  Our kids can pay a far lesser price to learn these lessons while they are young.
OK, off my soap box.  Our family is better then ever, but not without problems.  Jake is still in need of limits and boundaries.  He still needs quiet time in his room to decompress and calm down.  I still have to be careful about how much freedom he gets.  He still has to "earn" his privileges.  He feels better working and so do I.  I have to watch his down time and regulate him.  I am excited for school, but am well aware that it will still be a huge adjustment and we will have some growing pains with that.
I am optimistic about my life, and am excited to help others on their journey for it is a long journey to healing but undoubtedly, a worthwhile one.
I'm excited to get the word out to all those moms who feel crazy, out of control, and guilty about their motherhood and children.  It can and does get better with help, education, and the proper perspective.  I am truly blessed to have the resources right here in Utah!
Thanks to all and thanks be to God for all the blessings I have been given.  I am truly grateful.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and uplifting message! Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel it will make a big difference in my life since I have come to know you and all my other new soulmates!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. found your blog on your facebook profile. love this post. i did one similar to it (about how bratty our generation is and how scary it is to see what's going to happen- going through all this with my cameron has helped me to understand this also- www.dansie-family.blogspot.com- glad i found your blog and your FB profile!

    ReplyDelete