Monday, September 28, 2009

Church was as we expected!



So Todd and I took two cars to church knowing that somehow Jake was not going to get what he wanted and was going to push it.  We were right, he teased his sister.  Let me be clear, all kids tease, but with our therapy Jake isn't allowed to misbehave in anyway without having a consequence, (so there can be no manipulation).  So he had to sit on the end of the row by me.  I got him a coloring book and crayons, but he wanted a notebook and pencil, (a control thing).  So he lost it.  Mind you, this was all before the sacrament was passed. 
I had to carry my 7 year-old out of the chapel and into a room to do "strong sitting" (a discipline technique to help learn self control and total submission).  He would not do it for any amount of time, so he went home with Todd.  
I have realized that we have a very long road ahead of us.  He has to be able to trust us enough to give up control and feel safe at the same time.  When our babies are born they learn to trust and connect with us.  That is why a child is looked at in the scriptures as "submissive, meek, humble, and willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit... as a child doth submit to his father." Mosiah 3:19.  
As I go through this reconnecting with Jake I realize that it is the same process that we are going through in trying to reconnect with our Father in Heaven.  We have to go through a specific process to trust our Heavenly Father and be able to submit our will to His.  How hard is the process to get to that point?  All I know is that I need to find answers to this journey with Jake by studying the Lord's way of helping us reconnect and trust Him.  
If any of you have any insights I would love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment