Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Finding Purpose

Today I am trying a new approach.  I'm trying to see where the good is among all the junk that Jake's early trauma causes.
It's easy to see all the terrible things that this has brought to my family.  It's easy to count the money we have spent to try to help him.  It's easy to feel the stress and despair that comes.  It's harder to see the good that can come but here I go...



I have been able to help my child develop empathy.  He now knows how others feel, he couldn't before.  And frankly, some adults I know don't have that capacity.

Good Point for ME!

Jake is a different child than he was before.  He can control himself (when he wants to ;) ) and make good choices.

Point!!

I have learned to be more sympathetic and empathetic towards others too!  I find it easier to give more people the benefit of the doubt and to love them through whatever they go through.

Point!

My child has an understanding of the Atonement that is so extensive that he will be able to do many things in his life that others can only dream of!

POINT!

Because we found the correct diagnosis, I have the opportunity to spread the word about RAD or Developmental Trauma in the first years of life, to all families!  Right now it's rarely, but more likely  diagnosed in children who have obvious trauma like abandonment, living in orphanages, abuse, adoption, neglect and major trauma.  Because we found it in Jake who has less obvious trauma such as generational trauma, a stressful and sick pregnancy, and a traumatic birth, we open up the path for biological families to heal their troubled children. (I look for the day when biological kids, who come from good families but still have all the symptoms will get the correct diagnosis and therefore the correct help they need.)

DOUBLE POINT!

I know that my purpose in this was to heal Jake.  Jake's purpose in this was to heal our family and be a beacon to other families who are struggling.  His journey has directly led 4 children to the help that they and their families need!!  It's a miracle!!

I often feel that Jake chose before this life to come as he did, to suffer for the good of the family and others who needed to be guided to healing.  He really is a special person with a special purpose here on Earth!

So as I go through out my days I stress over his moods, I react to his bad choices, and I have sleepless nights over his future, I am glad that the Lord sends me ways to be reminded of the good that has come from our struggles.

I welcome more ways to help others and more reminders of the good that is coming from all of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment