Sunday, April 11, 2010

Remaining Strong Though Trials

I have been so blessed to have council from church leaders, friends, family, and the holy scriptures to help me know how to deal with trials in a healthy and progressive way.  Having a sick child is a huge trial.  There is many ways to react to such a trial.
We can stomp our feet and have a tantrum.  We can claim we are just a victim and have no control over our situation.  We blame others for our heartache.  We can isolate ourselves and shrivel up all alone.  We can become bitter and angry to others and even God.  We also have the choice to go another direction.  We can have faith in God and try to understand the lessons that can be learned.  We can use our trial to develop compassion.  We can use the trial to learn information that can help others.  We can rely on Jesus Christ's Atonement to ease our pain.  We can come closer to God and feel peace in knowing our purpose here on Earth.  I have probably made all of the bad choices in my reactions to this trial, but I have also worked hard to make the choices that would bring me peace and the love of God.
It's so hard to combat the bad feelings, the ones that give excuses and make us feel powerless.  The natural man in all of us makes it a struggle to choose the Lord's way.  Sometimes I just want to scream (and sometimes I do scream) in frustration, "Why is this happening to me?!!!"  But it doesn't me do any good to play the victim in my life.  I have to make my faith sufficient.  It has to be great enough to give me the rite to heavenly help.  I know that the greater my faith, the greater the help.  All earthly help is inconsistent, imperfect, and insufficient.  If I only look for help that comes outside of God, then I will always be left wanting.  With that said, the Lord works through people willing to listen to His promptings and His Spirit.  I am so grateful that a promise given to me through the Holy Priesthood of God that angels both in heaven and on Earth would be my help and my strength when I can't do it myself.  What an incredible promise!  And I know that God knows me and how I need the help so badly.
So with all that said, we have a choice.  We can blame, play victims, be sad and alone, or we can take control, become powerful through Christ's Atonement, and grow stronger each day.  I am working everyday to become the person who would choose Christ.  It feels so much better.  I want comfort, peace, growth, progression, happiness, strength, ability, and divine approval.  For if I am right with God all else can go away.  God is the person who I want to please.  And I will always keep myself firmly pointed in His direction.  I will do my best to not make excuses to justify making bad choices.  I will do what He wants me to do, and be what He wants me to be.  That is how I will make it through the constant onslaught of discouragement, criticism, contention, disappointment, and heartache that comes with this incredible trial.
I will make it with the promised help of the Savior.

1 comment:

  1. So, uh, did you write this for me to read??? Yeah, I guess I've been playing the victim role lately, and doing alot of "Why me"'s. Your words were exactly what I needed to hear! Thank you! So glad you are in my life!

    ReplyDelete