Saturday, April 3, 2010

I'm Back! (in more ways than one)

Hello, faithful readers.  I have been seriously neglecting this blog.  The reasons have been both negative and positive.  The negative reason is that I have been stressed out of my mind.  The positive is that Jake has been overall pretty good.  I have been coasting through life without actively nurturing my relationships and my self for a while.

 I often feel overwhelmed and sad.  Although I have almost mastered handling Jake in a clam way, I have redirected my frustration on to the rest of my family.  It's sad, but true.  My poor husband has been so patient, but there is only so much a person can take.  My good friend listened to me and realized that my hubby and I needed some alone time to be able to talk to each other and reconnect.  It's amazing how well a good date works for a marriage.  We had neglected taking care of us in the name of taking care of our kids, the house, work, callings, and everything else.  It seems like such a simple thing, and that is why it's so easy to look over.  Now that we were able to talk to each other without work, kids, and distractions we have been able to make the necessary course corrections needed so we could take better care of each other.
Now that I have sufficiently given a plug for dates, (not just that they are fun, but absolutely paramount) I want to make a plug for moms and self care!  Self care is taking the time to reenergize yourself so that you have more to give to your families.  I have a really hard time doing this.  I have come to realize that it is because I have my own issues from my upbringing that make me resist doing things for myself.  It's not right, but I still have to make an effort to get over it.  It's so weird, I don't feel I can do things for myself, but I feel bitter that I "can't" so things for myself.  I always feel bad about it and it's a constant struggle.  So, I have been trying to understand it's true value, which one can't fully get it until a mother allows herself to do something that really recharges her.  I have found that I get recharged by a few things.  Dates, for sure!  Tennis workouts where I get to run, sweat, hit a ball (hard), and improve a skill and feel good about myself.  I also like going to dinner with ladies from my neighborhood.  All these things help me feel better, rejuvenate me, and help me face the responsibilities I have at home.
On to Jake.  These few weeks have been relatively good.  He has been compliant, doing many chores, and been mostly fun to be around.  I wish I had blogged about the specifics of Jake's behavior this time, because we have specific documentation of his outrageous behavior, but not much of his good behavior. It's a sad reality and I recommit to writing about how good his good really is and how much progress his is making.  See the next entry for the huge miracles in progression Jake had this week.
This blog entry's lesson: Take time to nurture yourself and your spouse.  This is the most important thing a mother can do to protect and help her children.  There is always a balance, children need your time, too.  But if your marriage is suffering and you are drained and stressed all the time, you cannot give your best self to your children.  So, fun dating, and fun recharging to us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment