Friday, October 16, 2009

New School

So, Jake has started going to a therapeutic school for RAD kids called New Hope Academy in AF. I have struggled with the decision to pull him out of regular school because he is so difficult to be with all day long. He is constantly negotiating and arguing. He never does anything right the first time, even if it is something we have done before or if I had just explained it. The difference between him and other "normal" kids is that he is doing it to control me. This kid can remember things he wants to remember with incredible detail, so he is capable, but unwilling and defiant.
So I take him to this school and he is not allowed to get away with ANYTHING.
Jake seeks for control so bad that he will "forget" how to do correct jumping jacks when told to do so. It's amazing. I know that his behavior is going to get worse as we get closer to helping him. He doesn't want us to take control away because he literally thinks he will die if he doesn't have control of things around him. We have to help him see that even with adults in his life in complete control, Jake still lives and even is happier inside.
As for me, I had the best day I have had in a long time on Wednesday while he was at the school. My other kids are on fall break so we went to a movie and had a great time! I was COMPLETELY happy because for the first time I wasn't worried about Jake's behavior at school. Everyday Jake has gone to school I have had an underlying anxiety about his behavior while he is gone. I never know what he is going to do, either have a temper tantrum in class, interrupt the teacher, or tell the adults at school how I starve him at home and are cruel to him, (all fabrications of his consequences for not obeying at home). So when Jake is at New Hope I can relax knowing that he is getting help and I am also safe from DCFS coming over because of false claims against me.
The latest on other's reactions is funny, I am finding that people in my life are trying really hard to understand, but until you have lived with a RAD child in your home, you have no idea. Even family members are starting to make off hand comments that are truly hurtful and malicious because they can't possibly know the extent of my hurt and heartache over this thing. Onward we go, but with faith and courage. I know that my Heavenly Father is aware of us and is leading us in this healing process, I have NO doubts!

No comments:

Post a Comment