Monday, October 12, 2009

Other's Reactions



This has been the most interesting experience. To preface this post I have to say that there is not doubt that Jake has Reactive Attachment Disorder. I have consulted with 3 different therapist, and have now talked with other RAD kids' parents. Also it has been confirmed to me by Heavenly Father through much prayer and revelation that this is the right diagnosis.
I get all sorts of people trying to tell me that it can't be this, or that he is just that, or that they know my kid and how he behaves.
Before knowing what I know about Jake, I might have taken offense. Jake has always been a sensitive subject for me for obvious reasons. Now that I am on a sure path for his recovery, I see that people who seem to have a real problem with his diagnosis have reasons to want to doubt it. It just hits too close to home for many. Some issues are that they don't want to think something is wrong with him because there are no physical manifestations. Some don't want to see it because they see the same behavior in their kids. Some just don't want it to be this severe or intense. Others have completely distanced themselves so that they don't get a chance to express their disapproval.
On the other side of this is those who are truly compassionate. I have been able to see other's true natures as this is unfolding. Some have been so willing to help and want to know more, and are completely supportive of me and have confidence that I am doing the right things for Jake. It's amazing how this disorder exposes people's true feelings and connections with our family.
The real take away from this is that I now have an insight that I didn't think was possible. It might be because I am in a more humble state, where I find it much harder to judge others, but also I am able to read people easier. Because I have to concentrate so much on Jake's "energy" (I know I'm getting all mystic on you) I feel I'm able to see it in others as well. It's a very interesting ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment